Dough Castle (1306) provides a wonderful backdrop to 7th hole on the Castle Course. Originally founded by the O’Connor’s in 1306, its old name “Dumhach Ui Chonchuir” translates as O’Connor’s Sandbank and it was an O’Connor stronghold until they were ousted by the O’Brien’s in the days of Queen Elizabeth 1.
Reference to the Castle dates back to 1422 but the present ruin was built after that time. By 1584 the Castle was held by Sir Donal O’Brien’s family. In 1654, Colonel Stubber, a Cromwellian Officer, saved the Castle from the “Commissioners for overthrowing and demolishing Castles in Connaught and Clare”. It was described in 1675 as a tall battlemented tower with a two-storied dwelling house attached to one side.
The present ruin is the result of poor foundations (mainly sand) rather than the ravages of war. The building collapsed at various times, mainly during the nineteenth century. Only one wall now remains of Dough Castle. The sand-hills are supposed to be the haunt of Donn Dumhach, the Fairy King, and the sand-hill near the bridge, known as Crughaneer, is also supposed to be haunted.