The Goats of Lahinch
The original goats at Lahinch were owned by an old Lahinch caddie, Tommy Walsh, who lived close to the old 3rd tee. Tommy, in the early years of the 20th century, caddied for the great John Ball of Hoylake (Open Champion 1890) when he travelled to Lahinch in the early 1900’s. The goats were a great guide to the weather at Lahinch. If they were seen hovering around the clubhouse the weather prospects were not good. But once the goats made their way out to the outer regions of the sand hills, then weather prospects were good and the day was sure to be fine.
In the 1960’s when the Club Barometer broke down, Secretary/Manager at the time, Brud Slattery, hand wrote a note on the barometer “See Goats”. In 1956, on the suggestion of Dr. Patrick Hillery, the Club approved an emblem incorporating the thistle, the shamrock and the goat.
The goats continue to roam across the links without a care in the world and continue to be a source of amusement to members and visitors.
Lahinch Goats – The Weathermen
Back in 1971, renowned broadcaster, Cathal O’Shannon, and an RTE camera crew took a trip to Lahinch to investigate a curious weather phenomenon. To watch the RTE Archive video, click here
45 years later reporter, Colm Flynn, retraced Cathal’s steps on the links at Lahinch to see if the goats are continuing to forecast the weather. To watch the RTE video for the Today Show, click here
Flora & Fauna
To read more about the flora and fauna of the links course, please read our Eco-Links.